BRIEF CLUB HSTORY
We consider ourselves to be the ‘Friendly Club’, a reputation we are proud of and try to foster.
The club was formed in 1949, when a group of local bowlers , disgruntled with the way that the Bribie Island Bowls Club was being dominated by Brisbane based members, decided to form their own club. They set to and built their own green at a site in Toorbul Street, and a wooden shack served as their ‘club house’ while the green was under construction by the sweat of their own brows. Applicants were only admitted to membership if they declared that they would be playing members.
The club house and green were completed in 1952, and bowls were first played from about September of that year. On July 25th, 1953, the official opening of the Bongaree Bowling Club took place, with representatives from Queensland Bowling Association and ten visiting bowling clubs in attendance. That first green was named after the first President of the club, Arthur Winston. Arthur remained Mens President until 1964, a magnificent achievement.
The Bongaree Ladies Bowling Club was formed in 1952, and was officially opened on 13th November of that year, with representatives from Queensland Ladies Bowling Association and fourteen visiting clubs in attendance.
In 1972 the second green was constructed, and named after Mr. E. Richardson, who was Mens President at the time.
In October 1980 the third green was formally opened, and named after Fred Kling, a foundation and life member, who only passed away in 2008.
The club house was extended over the years to cater for the growing membership, and in 1992 the first gaming machines were introduced into the club. Into the twenty first century, and there was a thriving club restaurant, two bars, and the ‘Blue Room’ which was big enough to host various social and bowling functions, with a small stage area.
In 2007 the club became the first club on the Island to install a retractable shade over the Kling green. It was made possible by a Grant from the Sport and Recreation Dept. of the Queensland Government. The official opening was attended by the local State MP, the Division 1 Councillor, and a representative from the Dept. of Sport and Recreation. It provides a much more comfortable environment for playing in hot weather conditions.
Unfortunately, around that time, the club had also accumulated a sizeable financial debt. The officials at the time managed to devise a rescue plan whereby the local RSL & Citizens Club took over the debt, but also acquired ownership of the property, with the Bowls Club having the use of the greens, and paying a lease fee in return. This has worked well to date, with regular meetings of both parties taking place to iron out any difficulties. The club is staffed by the RSL, but the Bowls Club retains it’s identity in the bowling world.
The club is affiliated to the M.B.D.B.A. (Moreton Bay District Bowls Association) , the equivalent Ladies Association, and to Bowls Queensland, which in turn is affiliated to Bowls Australia.
We look forward to a vibrant future.